Honors advisors provide a personalized college experience through one-on-one advising in an inclusive environment. They support students through the completion of the Honors Notation by assisting with Honors coursework planning and monitoring their progress. Through a holistic approach, Honors advising empowers students to make informed and inspired choices about their lives at IUPUI and beyond. Honors advisors challenge students to continually examine their engagement in curricular and co-curricular experiences that will enhance their skills, expand their opportunities, and increase their impact in their local and global communities.
Defining Honors Advising
What role will Honors advising play in your college experience? Honors Advisors and Academic Advisors both provide guidance to students, but with a different primary focus.
- Choosing Honors coursework
- Developing Honors contract projects
- Identifying co-curricular interests & goals
- Reviewing policies for scholarship and graduating with Honors
- Questions about Honors benefits (housing, study abroad stipend, etc.)
- Co-curricular planning
- Preparing for life after graduation
- Applying for competitive awards, scholarships, research grants
- Registering for classes
- Identifying specific course requirements for your degree/minor
- Determining number of credit hours each semester
- Monitoring degree/minor progress
- Assist with degree maps/iGPS
- Interpreting school policies
- Discussing opportunities related to your specific major
- Referrals to career offices/resources
- Exploring study abroad programs
- Time management/goal setting/study skills
- General Education
- Wellness referrals
Communicating with your Honors Advisor
Best for: Complex questions, in-depth reflection, and conversations about goals, experiences, and options
Availability: Appointments are offered Monday through Friday when the Honors College Office is open. Appointments may be made in advance through the online scheduler: https://iupui.campus.eab.com. You can also visit the Honors front desk staff in UL 0124 or call 317-274-2660. If you cannot keep a scheduled appointment, make sure to cancel and free that time for another student. It is important that you plan ahead to ensure appointment availability.
Best for: Less complex questions, written information to reference later and quick inquiries
Availability: Advisors respond to emails during regular Honors College office hours. When emailing your advisor, please be professional - include a salutation, use proper grammar, and send from your IU email account. Allow at least one full business day for a response. Response times may be longer during busier times of the year, such as during the first few weeks of each semester.
Best for: Questions that are technical and/or time-sensitive in nature
Availability: Advisors answer phone calls during regular Honors College office hours. If the advisor is unavailable at the time of your call and you would like a call back, please leave a detailed voicemail for your advisor with your name, UID number, question, and best phone number at which to reach you. If you leave a message, your advisor will return your call as soon as possible.
The Advising Partnership
Honors advising is a collaborative partnership that involves active participation by both the advisee and the advisor. This partnership is intended to assist you in achieving your individual goals and is built over the course of your entire Honors College experience. To ensure a successful partnership, each partner has clear responsibilities:
- Read and respond to your IU emails daily
- Become knowledgeable about Honors College policies, requirements, and resources
- Develop a positive relationship with your advisor, and be respectful in your interactions
- Share your personal interests, strengths, and goals with your advisor
- Come to appointments prepared with questions/topics to discuss
- Actively engage in exploration of self, fields of study, and career paths
- Follow through on action plans created with advisor
- Seek assistance early when problems arise
- Be open to advice from advisors
- Keep a personal record of progress toward meeting your goals
- Take responsibility for your choices and actions (or inactions) throughout your college experience
- Respond to inquiries within a reasonable period of time
- Clarify Honors College policies and requirements
- Develop a positive relationship with advisees, and respect their personal values and priorities
- Provide a safe space for students to share thoughts, goals, concerns, and interests
- Maintain confidentiality
- Keep accurate notes from advising meetings in Advising Records
- Assist students in exploring and refining their interests, skills, and goals
- Assist students in creating action plans
- Help identify and make appropriate referrals to campus and community resources
- Help students develop decision-making skills and take ownership of their choices
- Celebrate students’ achievements
As a result of Honors advising, students will:
- Demonstrate knowledge of Honors College requirements and progress towards completion of the Honors Notation.
- Be able to articulate the value of an Honors education.
- Create an academic and co-curricular plan in line with their interests, strengths, and career goals.
- Be able to identify campus resources and services to support their academic, personal, and career goals.
- Engage in co-curricular involvement to support and promote their educational and life goals.
- Increase their cultural competency through cross-cultural experiences.
- Honors College Canvas Site: one.iu.edu/launch-task/iu/canvas
- Honors College Student Portal: honors.iupui.edu/student-portal/index.html
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS): studentaffairs.iupui.edu/health/counseling-psychological/index.html
- Student Central (registrar, bursar, financial aid): studentcentral.iupui.edu/index.html
- Bepko Learning Center: blc.iupui.edu
- Registry of Options and Resources (R.O.A.R.): helpmeroar.iupui.edu
- Center for Research and Learning: crl.iupui.edu
- Center for Service and Learning: csl.iupui.edu
- Study Abroad: abroad.iupui.edu